The Healer, The Curer
- We all have gone through both emotional and physical pain at some point in our lives that cause us to recognise Allah by one of his beautiful names Ash-Shaafi – The Healer.
- By recognizing Allah as Ash Shaafi we place our trust in Him and ask Him to grant us Shifa (cure). By doing this we are saying that Only Allah can remove an illness for He is the One Who created it. He is the Healer of all diseases.
- So how can we best live with the name of Allah Ash-Shaafi?
There are two types of Shifa (cures)
- Shifa of the heart
- Shifa of the body
The illness of the spiritual heart is caused by many things including but not limited to…
- Perpetual sinning without asking for forgiveness
- Knowing our Shifa is in the Quran.
‘O mankind there comes to you instructions from your Lord and a Healing (Quran) for what is in the breast and guidance for the believers’ (Surat Yunus 57)
- Increasing in Dua
- Keeping good company
- Forgiving others
- Increasing in the remembrance of Him and of Prophet (pbuh)
Othman ibn Abi Al-Aas (ra) complained to the Prophet of Allah (pbuh) that he felt a pain in some part of his body since he became a Muslim. The Prophet (pbuh) said “Put your hand on the part that hurts and say Bismillah 3 times, then say ‘Audhu bi ‘izzat-illah wa qudratihi min sharii ma ajid wa uhadhir’ I seek refuge in Allah and His Power from the evil of what I find and fear (7 times)” (Reported by Muslim).
- When we fall ill it is has become part of due process for us to go to doctor seeking medical advice and cure. Whilst it is important for us to do so, living with Ash-Shaafi simply means asking the Lord of the illness to cure you. The practical implication being having Tawakkul, that is active trust in Him, seeking the means by going to hospital, taking medicine etc as opposed to Tawaakul, which is passive trust which denotes sitting and waiting.
So trusting Ash-Shafii means trusting in the Lord of the means and not just the means and recognizing that asking Allah is also a means.
We can do this by making duas such as:
“O Allah, Lord of Mankind, the One Who relieves hardship grant healing for there is no healer but You a healing leaves no trace of sickness” (narrated by Anas and reported in Bukhari and Muslim)
- Let us not forget that ‘practical’ cures are also from Allah, as the Prophet (pbuh) said “Allah has sent down the disease and the cure and has made for every disease the cure. So treat sickness but do not use anything haraam” [Narrated by Abi Ad-Darda, reported in Abu Dawud]
- For all of us who are ill or have family and friends who are suffering from illnesses do not lose hope rather lets call upon Ash Shafee to relieve us of their pain.